Prop 64: California Makes History (finally)

We’ve had lots of questions the past few weeks about Prop 64. Where we stand, what are the good and bad points, what changes if it passes. This post assembles the most asked questions and answers.

Now that Prop 64 has passed, what changes for Californians?
Effective midnight, Nov 8, 2016 it is now legal for adults 21 or over to possess, use and/or gift up to one ounce of cannabis, whether they possess an MMJ recommendation or not. It is also now legal to grow up to six plants in your private residence (note: this is six plants per residence, not per person).

How do I buy recreational cannabis?
You can’t. You must have a license from the local government, then the state to sell recreational cannabis. Licenses will not be issued until late 2017/early 2018.

Will I still be able to purchase medicinal cannabis from RX-C?
As we are in the medicinal cannabis business operating under Prop 215/SB420, nothing changes for us until 2018, when the MCRSA guidelines and regulations become effective.

Do I still need a medical marijuana recommendation to do business with RX-C?
If you wish to continue to receive your medicinal cannabis products from RX-C or become a new member with us, the answer is “Yes”. The recreational laws that will be fully enacted under Prop 64 will not go into effect until January 2018. In the meantime, nothing changes for medical marijuana card holder and we will continue to operate per our established practices.

Can I refer or bring my adult family/friends who do NOT have an MMJ card?
No. We only serve the medical community and will continue to operate under Prop 215/SB420 guidelines.

If I am visiting from out of state, can I receive medicinal cannabis from RX-C?
No. Prop 215/SB420 apply to residents of California only. To do business with us, you must submit a current California medical marijuana recommendation, a California ID (or proof of residency) and be 21 or over.

I understand that under the new law, I will no longer have to pay sales tax, how does that work?
Our understanding of the law is that patients who take the extra step of registering with the state for an official state ID card will be exempt from the state sales tax (presently 8% for our jurisdiction). Please visit the California MMIC page to learn how to obtain a state ID card. Once you have your state ID card in hand, simply notify our team and we’ll update your member record.

Please understand that come 2018, the law as currently drafted imposes a 15% excise tax on medicinal or recreational use cannabis throughout the state, this will be in addition to the required sales tax. We expect that several groups will organize to appeal this part of the law as quickly as possible as true medical users should not be taxed at the same rate. 

Does RX-C plan to apply for a recreational license?
It is our intention to continue to provide quality, hand selected, organic products and top-notch service/guidance to our members who are seeking relief for medicinal purposes. We will continue our pursuit of a state license for medicinal purposes. We do not intend to enter the recreational market.